Railgun is a WAN optimization technology that we offer our domain customers in partnership with a company called Cloudflare.
CloudFlare's Railgun technology greatly speeds up the delivery of non-cached pages. While our CDN provider automatically caches 65% of the resources needed to make up a page, 35% can't be cached because the resources are dynamically generated or marked as "do not cache". That 35% is often the initial HTML of the page that must be downloaded first. Railgun speeds this remaining 35%.
1. Table of Contents
- What are the benefits of Railgun?
- How does Railgun work?
- What kind of sites can use Railgun?
- What much does Railgun cost?
- How do I enable Railgun on my site?
- What if I’m having issues enabling Railgun?
- I’m not a Cloudflare customer, can I still use Railgun?
- I’m seeing an error on my site and I think Railgun is causing it, what should I do?
- Remind me, what is CloudFlare?
2. What are the benefits of Railgun?
Websites running Railgun show a 143% improvement in HTML load times and a 90% decrease in Time To First Byte (TTFB) responses.
3. How does Railgun work?
Railgun opens a secure, tunnelled connection between the Cloudflare network and your host’s origin server where the connection only sends differences from the last request. This is similar to how video encoding works.
The markup of websites does not change that frequently from one request to the next. Instead of transferring the entire request between Cloudflare and the origin server, Railgun will transfer only the changes in markup from one request to the next. This cuts down on bandwidth, transfer time, and overall page load times. Railgun caches these differences in memory to make page processing as fast as possible.
4. What kind of sites can use Railgun?
Any website can benefit from the performance improvements Railgun offers, especially dynamic sites.
5. What much does Railgun cost?
We have partnered with Cloudflare to make Railgun both easy and affordable. If you purchase Railgun directly through them, it would cost $200 per month. However, we have partnered with CloudFlare and are offering Railgun to our customers for free.
6. How do I enable Railgun on my site?
Within your Gentlent Domains dashboard, you are able to activate Railgun through a one-click configuration in the settings.
7. What if I’m having issues enabling Railgun?
8. I’m not a Cloudflare customer, can I still use Railgun?
Yes, as long as you are a Gentlent customer with your domain registered with us.
9. I’m seeing an error on my site and I think Railgun is causing it, what should I do?
You can turn it off directly from your dashboard. If you are an enterprise customer, log into your Cloudflare account, go to Performance Settings and turn Railgun off from there. Please file a bug report.
10. Remind me, what is CloudFlare?
Cloudflare is a third party service that we offer to our hosting customers. They provide performance, security, and availability to web properties. The company runs a globally distributed network where they automatically cache static content, filter malicious traffic and help offload big spikes in traffic. On average, a site loads twice as fast, uses 65% fewer server resources and has an additional layer of security.
All numbers are estimates by Cloudflare.